To make 2 pillowcases, you need: 2 yards (1.9 meters) of fabric for standard & queen size pillowcases (20″ x 30″). 2.5 yards (2.3 meters) of fabric for king size pillowcases (20″ x 40″).
How much material do you need to make a pillowcase?
A finished standard pillowcase should measure about 22.5 inches by 31.5 inches, allowing for fill depth, seaming and an approximate 4-inch hem. One yard of 45-inch-wide fabric should be enough to make one standard case, if the material is preshrunk.
How much fabric do I need for a queen size pillowcase?
Purchase 1 1/4 yards of 44-inch fabric for each queen-size pillowcase you want to make. Two pillowcases will require 2 1/2 yards of fabric. This pillowcase is made of one kind of fabric and is one-piece construction.
What are the measurements for a standard pillowcase?
Say Goodnight To Neck Pain With A Better Pillow
|Pillow Size||Measurements (Inches)||Measurements (CM)|
|Standard||20 inches by 26 inches||51 CM by 56 CM|
|Queen||20 inches by 30 inches||51 CM by 76 CM|
|King||20 inches by 36 inches||51 CM by 92 CM|
|Body||20 inches by 54 inches||51 CM by 137 CM|
How much bigger should a pillowcase be than the pillow?
Opt for a pillowcase measuring 1/2 to 1 inch longer than the pillow length and 2 1/2 to 4 inches wider than the pillow width, if you’re buying a ready-made pillowcase.
What is the best fabric to make pillowcases?
Here are the best pillowcase materials:
- Cotton. One of the most popular pillowcase materials is cotton. …
- Nylon. Another common pillowcase fabric, nylon is typically made to look like silk. …
- Linen. Linen is a high quality, natural flax product that is no longer produced in quantity. …
- Satin. …
How do I calculate how much fabric I need?
Figure out how much fabric you need with this formula:
- Width of fabric divided by width of one piece equals the number of pieces that fit into width (rounded down to the whole number).
- Total number of pieces divided by number of pieces that fit into width equals number of rows you need.
How do you hand stitch a pillowcase?
Steps on How To Hand Sew A Pillow Case
- Step 1: Decide on Fabric. Picking out fabric is the best part. …
- Step 2: Cut Fabric. …
- Step 3: Fold Fabric. …
- Step 4: Pin (Font and Back) sides Together. …
- Step 5: Sew. …
- Step 6: Cut off the thread. …
- Step 7: Use the Corners. …
- Insert Pillow.
How many yards is a king size pillowcase?
How Much Fabric For a King Pillowcase. If you own a king-size bed or giving a pillowcase as a gift to someone who does, then all you will need is about 1 1/2 yards of 45-inch fabric. This amount of fabric should make a 20 by 36-inch pillowcase.
What is the first step to do before sewing a pillowcase?
Sew a pillowcase in 7 easy steps
- What you’ll need: …
- Wash, dry and iron your fabric before measuring and cutting the fabric.
- Fold the fabrics in half to easily cut the rectangles.
- Fold the cuff in half, lengthwise and iron down the fold.
- Match up the raw edges of the cuff with the right side of the pillowcase body, pin and sew with a 1/2″ allowance.
How do you measure a pillowcase for a pillow?
Step 1: Grasp the top and bottom corners of the pillow and pull the fabric tight. Step 2: Measure the pillow’s height, from top to bottom, along the edge of the pillow. Step 3: Grasp the left and right corners of the pillow and pull the fabric tight.
How do you make a pillowcase step by step?
- Layer Your Materials. Place your cuff fabric on your work station, right side up. …
- Roll Up the Main Fabric. …
- Fold Up the Cuff Fabric. …
- Sew the Raw Edges. …
- Unroll and Press. …
- Trim to Size. …
- Finish the Pillowcase. …
- Trap the Raw Edges.
What size is a housewife pillowcase?
There are two types of pillowcase, the Oxford and the Housewife. The Oxford has a fabric border around the edge, usually ranging from 5cm to 10 cm. The Housewife has no border, just a plain sewn edge.
Bedding size guide.
|Standard||50 x 75cm|
|King||50 x 90cm|
Do queen size pillows fit in standard cases?
Measuring 20-by-30 inches, queen pillows are a scant 4 inches longer than standard pillows, which measure 20-by-26 inches. You won’t need to buy bigger pillowcases, though, since standard and queen pillows fit into the same-size cases.
How do I convert king size pillowcases to standard size?
To adapt a king case to a standard pillow, remove the extra 10 inches of length. Turn the case inside out, then use a pair of sharp fabric scissors to cut 9 1/2 inches from the closed edge. Sew a new seam 1/2 inch in from the new cut edge. If the fabric unraveled, trim it before turning the case outward again.