What are corner seams used for?
On acute or sharp points, such as shirt collars, take one to three stitches diagonally across the corner to allow some room for seam allowances turning inside. Use one stitch on lightweight fabrics and three on heavyweight fabrics.
How do you join a corner in sewing?
- Press your first 1” seam allowance to the wrong side on all edges.
- Press the same amount again. …
- Now unfold that second fold so that just the raw edge seam allowance is folded over. …
- Draw a diagonal line in fabric marker connecting the two marks.
- Next, fold the corner in half diagonally, wrong sides facing out.
What is the best way to make a 90 degree turn when sewing?
For a 90 degree angle, just snip the point of the corner off. If your seam allowance is wider than 1/4 inch (6mm) you can trim a bit off the sides at an angle too. For narrow seam allowances, this is not usually necessary.