One of the easiest ways to join your blackout lining to your curtains is with the help of something called fusible hemming web. This can be used for joining two fabrics together. Simply place the hemming web tape between the two fabrics and then using a standard iron press together until they are bonded.
How do you make curtain liners?
- Measure Curtain and Lining Panels. Use a tape measure to determine length from floor to desired height of curtain rod. …
- Fold and Press Hem. Place fabric on ironing board wrong-side-up. …
- Insert Weights and Sew Hem. …
- Hem Lining. …
- Create Header. …
- Sew Sides. …
- Sew Header. …
- Pleat and Hang Panels.
How do you add blackout lining to existing curtains with hooks?
How To Add Blackout Lining To Existing Curtains
- Remove the curtains from the pole and lay face down on a flat surface. …
- Insert the curtain hooks into the header tape pockets of the lining. …
- Hang the curtains, and adjust the placement of the curtain hooks on header tape for improved positioning and drape.
How do you put blackout lining on curtains?
Attaching Blackout Linings
- Start by laying the curtain face down on a flat surface. …
- When using standard curtain hooks, insert the hook into lining tape and then curtain tape, select the right hook position for curtain pole or track.
Can you sew blackout lining to curtains?
Sew the blackout lining along the same stitch marks as the curtains. Use the same color thread as the store-bought curtains. If you don’t go along the same stitch marks as the curtains, that’s okay. … But blackout lining won’t fray so it’s great fabric to just cut and sew into place.
Do you need to hem blackout lining?
No you won’t need to hem them as blackout lining won’t fray, just lay them flat, pencil a line across the lining which should be at least 1” above curtain fabric and cut, done!
Do curtains need lining?
Not all types of curtains need lining. … Thinner cotton or polyester curtains should be lined, however, to stop them looking washed out. Even top treatments can be worth lining, because it will help to extend their life, and stop them fading. It’s relatively easy to add lining to the back of your curtains.
What kind of fabric is used for curtains?
The most common types of curtain fabric are cotton, silk, linen, polyester, velvet, acrylic, rayon, brocade, lace and voile.
How do curtain liners work?
Window curtain liners serve many purposes, including blocking out light, soundproofing, or insulating a window. … They sometimes are hung separately using the same curtain hooks or clips, or they can be attached to the back of the curtains. Some types of curtains or drapes come already lined.
Which side of blackout lining faces the window?
The fabric side faces the window to help protect the coated side, although the blackout feature works regardless of the lining’s direction.
What is 3 pass blackout lining?
A three pass lining means that a layer of white foam is applied to the back of the curtain fabric, then a black one, followed by another layer of white. The white layers mean that the black colour doesn’t disrupt the decorative finish of the fabric while the black layer blocks light and retains heat.
How do you attach lining to sheer curtains?
How to add curtain lining
- To start lining curtains, place your flat, hemmed decorator fabric wrong side up on the table.
- Place the flat sheet on top. …
- I only cut the width off on one side so I only have to hem one side.
- Next place the back sides of the sheet and the fabric together and hem at the top.
How do you make blackout curtains look good?
The Best Ways to Find Blackout Curtains That Aren’t Ugly
- Choose light-filtering curtains rather than blackout curtains. Blackout curtains vary in their light-blocking abilities and can range from true blackout to light-filtering. …
- Look for a drapey, heavy fabric. …
- Use a double curtain rod.
What are the best blackout curtains?
Best Overall: Nicetown 100% Blackout Lined Curtains. Best Value: Amazon Basics Room Darkening Blackout Window Curtains. Best for Sliding Glass Doors: Best Home Fashion Solid Blackout Thermal Grommet Curtains. Best Single Panel: Wayfair Basics Solid Blackout Rod Pocket Curtain.
Can you wash blackout lining?
Blockout Curtains must be hand washed because the machines can easily ruin the layers. Gently squeeze and scrub the curtain fabric with your hands. Once the entire curtain has been washed, drain the bath and rinse the curtains with clean water.